No announcement yet.

The Definitive 901 Carpet Gruppe Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a call yesterday that mine was going in the post... So no idea yet (not that i'm the anorak to tell haargan from anything else!).
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Clyde, as best we could work out, the 68 and possibly the 67 was very similar (if not the same) as the LWB. As you know, the "dimensions" inside aren't any different - there is just the addition of heater slides.
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

My carpet set has arrived. Looks great - no comparison with what is in there now. It won't see the car for a little while so can't comment on fit etc.

A lot of thanks to John for organising this group buy- it no doubt required some considerable effort on his part that no one else knows about.

Comment

Thanks Jock. It was a big job order for CBG...

I missed the courier today, so probably won't see mine until Monday. Just like you, I won't get the carpet in for a while so I'm eager to see results from anyone who does get theirs in!
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

Hi All

My carpets finally arrived today after dealing with a lazy franchise courier...

Clyde, no question that this is the correct Haargarn "pepper and salt" carpet. I've also taken some photos of the rear for you to judge the backing material. To my mind I'm completely satisfied that I've got as close to the original as was reasonable for price and Antipodean location Workmanship is great and it appears it will fit up nicely.

I think it will be great to start an individual tech thread on fitting the carpets. I won't be getting to this for a little while at my current rate, so any of you doing your carpets, please take photos and post your process and observations for everyone else. Not sure what others are doing, but as always, I'll have a go at doing this myself I am a Qld public servant, and I may not have a job by the end of the year - so I need to save where I can

Anyway, photos below on my new camera.
            Attached Files
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

Let's hope Campbell Newman wakes up to the fact that Government departments don't run on fresh air!

Cheers

Paul M

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                I'm slightly confused as Johns says the carpet is correct for SWB in his lead post

It is the correct carpet for LWB isn't it Shane???

sorry clyde i didnt see your post. Ive been away for months sailing borneo and havnt fitted it yet.

Shane

Comment

Another quick photo...
                  Attached Files
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

They look the part John

Comment

Hi all... have had mine for a while, but due to work getting in the way of life, did not have the chance to open the box to check it out. Suffice to say that I was a little disappointed at first, as I thought the colour was NQR - seemed to be a lot lighter than the originals I have in the car.... that was until I started to pull the old carpets out of mine today & discovered a piece of carpet under the trim that was clearly untouched by wear etc & have now determined that they are a fantastic piece of kit! Thanks John for organizing this - they are a really nice product!
                      Mark Munro
                      '69 911T (sold)
                      '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
                      '69 MG Midget Group S car
                      TYP901 Register #196

Comment

BTW, now that I have pulled out the original carpets, what is the best product & process to strip the old glue etc off the bodywork, and how far should I take this step? Should I remove all the sound deadening material in the backseat areas also? And maybe repaint the floor pans etc as well? Thanks in advance for any advice...
                        Mark Munro
                        '69 911T (sold)
                        '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
                        '69 MG Midget Group S car
                        TYP901 Register #196

Comment

It's a spiral Mark!

From what I understand, if you have all original material, the glue is old horses' hoof stuff and and a scuff down with a scotch pad will be fine. If you have later contact adhesive residue Bunnings have "glue remover", can't think of the brand, but it will remove the residue.

As for the sound deadener, if it's in good nick, I'd leave it - but now is a great time to clean up the pans and check/fix surface rust. If you do remove the original stuff, there's plenty of modern replacements like dynamat etc...

BTW, I'm glad you're happy. It's amazing the subtle changes that occur over 40 years of wear, tear, and UV. Even the original black satin interior paint in my car had 'faded' to become lighter, and the black vinyl (what was left of the original) changed colour where it was exposed. I'm so close to beginning the install on mine now too...
                          Last edited by Fishcop; 15-09-12, 08:02 PM.
                          John Forcier
                          Restoration Saga

Comment

Hey, one more thing - a few more people have contacted me about getting one of these carpets. The current group buy is done, but it sounds like there's enough of you here and lurking to possibly pull off a repeat...

I'm done But anyone else is free to pick up the sword. The hard work's done with John having a spreadsheet of the various early year models and their particular requirements (901 box vs 915 etc...), and I think a part from the long wait, there's been no criticism of the actual product and it's quality and accuracy. I maintain it's as good a RHD set as you'll get.

Cheers
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                              Hey, one more thing - a few more people have contacted me about getting one of these carpets. The current group buy is done, but it sounds like there's enough of you here and lurking to possibly pull off a repeat...

I'm done But anyone else is free to pick up the sword. The hard work's done with John having a spreadsheet of the various early year models and their particular requirements (901 box vs 915 etc...), and I think a part from the long wait, there's been no criticism of the actual product and it's quality and accuracy. I maintain it's as good a RHD set as you'll get.

Cheers
                              ..... Must ..... Resist

Comment

Originally posted by DJ911 View Post
                                ..... Must ..... Resist

Must Not Resist
                                Clyde Boyer
                                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                                President
                                Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...