Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1974 Carrera MFI 2.7 Mechanical Fuel Pump

Hi Forum members. I have a 1974 Carrera MFI 2.7
    The car has been sorted from replacing the CDI , while electrical system renewed, coil , leads , spark plugs etc. With tuning the engine runs up to 8,000 rpm then slowly decreasing till back firing starts. After which idle is problematic. Then idle so smooth cannot idle, but cannot tune the excess fuel. So the conclusion is to service the whole Pump. So send the whole pump to :

EISENBRANDT in Gemany. Is there any one use this company. ??
    has any member used this or recommend an Australian based service place.
    ​
    Attached Files

I would bite the bullet and send to Bosche but my mechanic has had good experiences with Eisenbrandt.

That same mechanic disassembled my pump completely. I was a guinea pig as he learned, cleaned everything replaced space cams etc etc and he has a bosche flow bench too.

It has been great.

Just working on the 2.4E pump now found the fuel cut off solenoid at the front off the pump not working so downhill coasting/ backfiring would have been assured
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

These guys were at Techno Classica, so there are other options as well, they were about 3000 euro to overhaul a 2.4 pump

IMG_3698.jpg
      Craig
      12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
      1972 2.4E Targa project
      1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

I sent to Bosch in Germany, was expensive thanks to the shipping and duty, but was worth it. Not sure on others.
        Alex Webster
        A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Yes bite the bullet and get it done properly the first time as Clyde and Alex have said.

Are you in Sydney - I assume yes given the user name.

Autohaus Hamilton in Sydney send all of theirs to a company in Germany - I'm not sure who or where - but everyone I have spoken to has been glowing in their impressions of the rebuild. Which is a pretty good endorsement I reckon.

Justin
            Justin Reed
            aka Reedminor
            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
            1961 356B #114700
            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Last time I spoke with Grant I am sure he said sends them all to Bosch
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Could be...

All of my cars have either had webercarbs or K jetronic Clyde...

So depending upon how you l0ok at it - Ive either dodged a bullet, or have never lived!

JR
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1961 356B #114700

Comment

Forum guys - thank you for the replies here.
                  Time taken. Greatly appreciated. Does forum know the contact details of Bosch. Google does not come up.

Eisenbrandt did reply : office@eisenbrandt.eu

replied, just to compare from Bosch.
                  Europe holiday from 5/8 to 26/8/24.

Comment

Cant assist here - sorry.

I think the good rebuilders of these pumps prefer to deal with reputable and knowledgeable repairers only, and not individual owners.

I know Autohaus offers a freight inclusive arrangement to their supplier (whoever that is)

They remove the pump, freight it, advise on spec (in consultation with owner), get it back and fit it to the engine / car...

Two of my friends have had it done in the last 12-36 months... and this is why I know some of the logistics behind how it is done.

Both were delighted, so I cant advise much beyond that.
                    Justin Reed
                    aka Reedminor
                    1961 356B #114700

Comment

So far both Companies replied on a step by step process and assistance on EU Customs procedures with Stat declarations process and fees. Both are of course similar prices. Plus a price and additional set fee for initial findings. How to send how pack it. Timeline. German Efficiency. Deal direct no issue. Both instruct professional engineer to remove and install - tune. Done warranty 24 months. Thank you hope I have added info here. Which is better inknown ! We all want best. Cheers

Comment

Given you have done the research - I guess its a case of going with the company that gives you the highest level of comfort across a whole number of areas - their reputation, the qualirty of their work, any endoresements from people who have used them, logisitcs and of course cost....

Reading back through the thread a few have commented on being very happy with Bosch... you only wnat to do it once, and do it properly.

JR
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1961 356B #114700

Comment

Was talking with Clydes mechanic last week and mentioned about this thread. Indeed he does have a Bosch Test rig used to test and adjust MFI pumps and he said given the amount of time and work involved in rebuilding pumps (plus getting parts for them), he says its better to send to Bosch Germany and as everyone says here - do it once and do it properly, then enjoy driving your car.

I had my MFI pump done by Bosch for my 2.4E when the engine was rebuilt years back, and it ran perfectly after that until I sold the car. I presume its still all OK as I havent heard anything from the buyer complaining about anything wiht the car.
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                          Early 911-S Registry # 690
                          R-Gruppe # 367
                          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                          '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily
                          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (SOLD)
                          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I am also a +1 for sending MFI pumps to Bosch. I have never looked back on this decision.
                            Damian Royce
                            TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                              Was talking with Clydes mechanic last week and mentioned about this thread. Indeed he does have a Bosch Test rig used to test and adjust MFI pumps and he said given the amount of time and work involved in rebuilding pumps (plus getting parts for them), he says its better to send to Bosch Germany and as everyone says here - do it once and do it properly, then enjoy driving your car.

I had my MFI pump done by Bosch for my 2.4E when the engine was rebuilt years back, and it ran perfectly after that until I sold the car. I presume its still all OK as I havent heard anything from the buyer complaining about anything wiht the car.
                              Thank you. Next job of mine is is now writing up the Stat Declaration and used invoice vale of Euro 800. Wrap it and Box at DHL Depot is best practice as DHL can immediately advise on any items I missed in Document. It Going The Kohler which is Bosch pump. all fees are set amounts and turn around is 4 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X