Fixed gear bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed gear bikes

there was some talk about fixed gear bikes down at the island.

here's a couple of pics of mine - plus a pic of the original bike as ebay purchased for $47.

the general consensus is to start with a steel frame. its a pretty easy conversion - remove everything that you can (hardcore idiots run no brake at all), then either buy a new wheel set or get a track hub laced into your existing rear wheel. i did the latter.

my first bars where the originals flipped over and cut down into bullhorn style - but i couldn't get my shoulders comfortable. the current versions are $10 mountain bike riser bars - that i shortened by about 3" per side - and a $5 bmx brake lever. (again - ebay is your friend)

they are really nice bikes to ride - the absence of a deraillieur and perfectly aligned f and r chain rings makes quite a difference. it takes a little while to get used to no freewheel but it does improve your pedalling smoothness.

ps. the tattoo'd hipster at the bike shop added the red chain when building the rear wheel - he described it as 'spanky'. i think thats good...
    Attached Files

ryan

saw another nutter riding one of these on my way home on wednesday... he was making hard work of going up a big hill...

think i'll stick to my 21 gears until i have legs like tree trunks!!!

like the concept though!!
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Gulf 917 conversion

Ok, before you guys start thinking I've got nothing better to do with my time I did this bike over the Christmas holiday.

The bike started life as my old highschool transport. I originally built it on a frame I got from the sunday market when I was 16.

Taking orders!

fixie-1.jpg

fixie6-1.jpg
      fixie17-1.jpg
      fixie10-1.jpg
      fixie 1.jpg
      fixie 2.jpg
      fixie 3.jpg
      fixie 4.jpg
      fixie 5.jpg
      David Belford
      Typ 901 Register Inc.

Comment

dave

fantastic!

how are you finding riding fixed? i'm really liking it - particularly the lack of gear/der'r noise.

i left the pedal straps off when i built the bike but i think i'm now comfortable enough to put them back on.

Comment

Very cool Dave

Hope it didn't take as long as the ST!
          Cam Arnott
          Looking for engine #6208151
          1970 911E (Sold)
          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Thanks,

I love riding it. I was amazed at how quick they are. No problems keeping up with the geared bikes on the commute.

I live in St Kilda and work in North Melbourne and riding the fixie to work takes the same time as the Porsche!.

The great thing with fixies is the short time it takes to build them. You can make them as elaborate or as simple as you like. It almost took me longer to get all the cool bits for the bike than it did to make it.

The frame is an old campag with nervex lugs
            Brooks saddle
            custom seat post
            cinelli alloy track bars
            custom velocity rims on track hubs radial front
            MKS silvan track pedals with toe clip/leather straps
            FSA black crank
            Michelin orium tyres
            David Belford
            Typ 901 Register Inc.

Comment

I take it you guys live on billiard tables?

Seriously - what do you do on proper hills?
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Really cool Dave / Ryan,

I've been trawling ebay for a cheapish but good road bike for months... I love the simplicity of them.

But these fixies, look fun and relatively inexpensive.
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                1961 356B #114700
                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

john - i have my bike geared pretty low, and mainly use it for local trips where i can avoid big hills.

justin - check out www.fixedgeargallery.com for inspiration. my bike is an early 80's ultima (kuwahara) frame and came with reasonable alloy components. you'll find one under $100.

Comment

I've just changed jobs and am now situated a little too far to run home (I take the train into the city of a morning). So I've been looking at getting back on a bike - but Brizvegas is pretty hilly, certainly my route is!

As cool as they are, I couldn't dream of using a fixed gear bike. But I do like the look and simplicity, so have been looking into Shimano Nexus geared hubs. Any opinions there?
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

Cool thread Ryan! although I ride a Trek with all carbon frame, lightweight racing wheels blah, blah, blah....I find there is something really cool about a simple hand brazed lugframed fixie, reminds me of old Porsches I guess
                      The funny thing is I am in Dunedin(NZ) at the moment and just the other day drove up what is reported to be the steepest street in the world, Baldwin St. Performing a three point turn on a 35% gradiant is VERY interesting. Definately not the place for a fixed gear bike, unless you're at the top of the street already

Dave- very nice bike, especially like the pic with it parked and the ST in the background

Comment

I drove Baldwin Street last year when on holiday there... remarkably steep!!
                        John Forcier
                        Restoration Saga

Comment

Excellent thread.

I've an old road bike (alloy compag frame) hanging in my garage that I was going to trash in favor of a mountain bike for just cruising around on. Loving the idea of building up one of these instead.

How do you figure out what gearing you need?
                          Paul Wischer
                          1969 911T
                          1979 Californian Moke
                          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Paul, so inspired was I, that I bought a bike off ebay earlier in the week, stripped it of all its parts, and it is now at the powder coaters. It had already been converted to a fixie which was good.
                            But will change the gearing slightly. I have no idea what it is running as I am no bike freak!
                            Alex Webster
                            A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

paul - i have 42 x 17. 42 was the size of the smaller of the two original front cogs. the bike shop guy suggested using a 17 rear to get a good all round cruising ratio. its a good compromise between decent speed on the flats and still being able to climb most hills. however, it does spin out a little on longer descents - during which i simply brake a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X