TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early 911's and parts starting to dry up in USA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Phil

I actually don't think the P76 was a 'lemon' as such... It actually did everything Leyland designed it to do. A lot of owners swore by them.

Its problem was it was just plain UGLY for the era. But isn't it interesting to look at the design today - large rear boot, lower front profile, not dissimilar to current crop of Falcons and Commodores?
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Datsun 200B - as Wheels rightly said at the time, a 180B with 20 more faults! I had one as a P plater...awful.

Comment

How about the Camira, like the P76, it also won car of the year. Just goes to show what motoring writers know. Look at the negative comments our beloved 911s have got over the years.

John

I think you will find most P76 owners swore "at" their cars but I'm sure Leyland must have managed to build a couple of decent examples. There is a very good reason the British car industry is almost dead, they built crap! (I know the P76 was made here, it was still a British company) They, like the Italians, can be great engineers but are let down in the manufacturing process.

Jeff
        Jeff Eelkema
        TYP 901 #132
        S-Reg #1431
        69E (project)
        various bevel Ducatis
        60s Vespa

Comment

My first car was a Camira (underpowered front wheel drive chick magnet) & now I'm inheriting the Spider (surely another plummeting stock). I'm starting to see a common theme..
          Marcus
          TYP901 Member #81
          1972 911E

Comment

I think this thread has become derailed onto a subject that could have its own thread. Lets keep it focued on the original discussion.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Glad I got mine when I did. I was kind of hesitant about making more changes but I kind of figure the stuff I do is to make it more competitive and if I ever sold it it would be to someone who wanted too use it for the same purpose.

Will the mods mean the car will gain value at a different rate to a stock unmodified one? Dunno and dont' really care! As long as it does what I want.

In relation to spares I think it's only a matter of time before we see more repro stuff on the market like the Cibies. If Porsche don't make it someone else will see an opportunity and fill it. I don't think we are about to see a shortage of parts on the market, and the global economy will always dictate price....My 2C
              Cam Arnott
              Looking for engine #6208151
              1970 911E (Sold)
              '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
              2 x Split Screen Kombis
              TYP 901 Register # 78
              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I haven't seen any 'drying' up of parts, only the bargains have....., you can still get anything really you just have to look.

Comment

Okay my turn to chime in!

I think what Cameron has said is right. I think the bargains are few and far between and high fives to those that find and take advantage of them when they appear. As for parts, the 356 market thrives on reproduction parts from all over the world that have been for a long time NLA. Company's in the USA surivive on this alone. I think that as those parts become more scarce and there is a demand, these too will be made by those company's or similar.

As for cars, there will always be debate on LHD vs RHD, but the main thing is that any potential lurkers/buyers, need to know that no matter what they do regarding these cars, it won't be cheap - there are ways of things to be done cheaply - but this does not mean the overall process will be cheap.

I think the only thing that can be confirmed, is that forums such as these are invaluable to those that are new to the early 911 arena.
                  Alex Webster
                  A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

I agree with Alex in regards to the forums.

I agree both this forum and the early 911s registry are invaluable

Comment

When I bought mine in 2000, I wasn't so internet savvy so I just blundered on in and purchased relatively blind... But having restored a couple of old holdens in the past, I went with as good a body/chassis I could find.

Engine/mechanicals are relatively (for me) easy to rebuild, but salvaging one of our old cars from tin worm is way harder than some of the great threads on EarlyS and Pelican would have you believe!

On the subject of matching engine/chassis numbers - although ideal, I personally would be more interested in a well running, cancer free car than insist on a match. But in the same breath, I will one day reunite my original engine to my car (albeit with some internal improvements )
                      John Forcier
                      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                      Restoration Saga
                      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by SIR70t View Post
                        I haven't seen any 'drying' up of parts, only the bargains have....., you can still get anything really you just have to look.
                        Shane, the comment I heard from the Melbourne dealer was about 915 gearboxes and he couldnt buy anything decent that had been rebuilt for under US$ 4500. Now I know thats not much in Aussie these days but remeber he's a dealer and needs to sell at wholesale to workshops etc.

As Alex says, you can buy whatever you need, so long as you pay the price.

Just ask Russell at Edmond-Harris.......

And I agree with Ed about our Forums. Thats one of the main reason Brett and I started this group and set up the original Yahoo forum in the first place.

How many years ago was that now ????
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                        Early 911-S Registry # 690
                        R-Gruppe # 367
                        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                        '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily
                        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Phil, yep as I said my comment was in line with Alex's.. stuff is there but expensive

Comment

I agree with Clyde, if it's LHD it should stay LHD. I have an AUS delivered 71 E but would have no issue buying a LHD 901 as long as it was 'correct'.

I also think leaving a 901 as delivered (LHD or RHD) is important given the global market all of these cars (including the AUS ones) are in now.

Damian Royce
                            TYP 901 Foundation Member #12
                            1971 911E
                            Damian Royce
                            TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

Clearly though there is still demand for converted cars.

They way Craig's 2.4E was snatched up is evidence of this. Sold in <1 week...

I think the key in this regard, is to make sure this is factored into the initial purchase price. That way when it comes time to sell you are not the one taking the hit for it being converted.

In these cases I feel it is more important to ascertain the intrinsic value of the car itself.

Thoughts?

Comment

Finding KYJ 911 or how KYJ 911 found me

In purchasing an early 911, I think my experience is rather different to most. I say different, because prior to acquiring KYJ, the purchase of an early 911 could not have been further from my mind. It just happened, it was fateful and it resulted from a series of amazing co-incidences.

Having owned a '69S for a few years in the early 1980's and observing the increasingly high prices being demanded for early 911's during the late 90's, I considered that owning another was beyond reach and therefore buying one was never seriously considered - until an unexpected phone call to me in March 2001.

The phone call was from George Cairns, who simply asked "Do you want to buy another Porsche, because if you do, I know where there's a good one?". Now, I'd known George since owning the '69S and had remained in contact even after I sold the car as he serviced our old Benz. But why had he rung me - he must surely know other "porsche people" who'd be interested. Notwithstanding, it was I who received his phone call. I was surprised, but at the same time (actually a little time after) rather excited. The opportunity to own another Porsche, one that was handed to me on a platter so to speak, seemed too good to pass up.

As it transpired, George had run into an old acquantance from Adelaide at the 2001 Melbourne GP - a car person, who had this white 2.2T that had been in storage for the past 13 years and he was intending to modify as a club/rally car. Due to personal circumstances he never proceeded with the project and decided to sell. He asked George if he knew of anyone who may be interested.

So, after seeing photos of the car and agreeing on the price (for which there was no negotiating), Julie and I decided to buy it, sight unseen. We set off for Adelaide in our Landcruiser, towing a borrowed car trailer, at 12:01am on Sunday 9 April 2001 - with $32,000 in cash in a biscuit tin under the passenger seat. We arrived in Adelaide at 9:00am, met the delightful vendor, handed over the cash, loaded the car onto the trailer and headed for home, arriving at 9 pm Sunday evening - the round trip only using a single day pass on CityLink. Now that's good planning!

As I have previously posted, I have now contacted the three former owners and have compiled a brief history of the car. Apart from the carpet.dash top being replaced and new seats, the car is as it came from the factory.
                                But the co-incidence that is the most amazing, and indeed a little spooky, is that the wife of the original owner was a student at my school, Upwey High, at the same time that I was there. So KYJ retains it's Upwey connection.

I share this tome with you, as it's just another illustration in life of how good things happen to nice people
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by MrUpwey; 05-07-08, 06:13 PM.
                                Peter Williams #049
                                Secretary TYP901
                                1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Working...
                                X