66' project begins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

66' project begins.

My car has finally arrived, may be getting it as soon as Wednesday.
    I must start searching for parts, Does anyone have a pair of drive shafts they want to off load.
    Customs charges are pain in the ass. $3316!!!!!!!!!!! ouch.

Are you going for original? Loboro half shafts are expensive... Most people update to CVs.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Im happy to use CVs.

Comment

It gets interesting and expensive now, I have logged about 200hrs on mine so far and some days are definitely better than others. Some of the stuff I have learned would have been really handy 3 months ago . All the best!

Comment

I have to go clean out my shed. Its coming tomorrow afternoon! I still have to work though. Considering calling in sick.

Comment

How original do you want to go ? I have most of the suspension and brakes off my 1966 car that was the basis for my 911R project car.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Im going to go down the GruppeR direction, not to worried about original, I feel its to far gone to go back. Keeping all the fibreglass bits on it. I like lightweight.
              Im looking at a 72' oil system for it now in the US to set up a 911r style oil system. Taking it back to the original Irish Grun (6066) though, just in case I do or someone else wants to go original one day.

Comment

good luck!!!

(assuming we will get lots of photos in this thread)
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Im just about to by an 72' oil system for $900 including shipping from the US,
                  I would like to know if anyone has experience fitting it to a SWB 911, in the style of a 911r.
                  Last edited by green gauge; 27-09-10, 09:44 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by green gauge View Post
                    Im just about to by an 72' oil system for $900 including shipping from the US,
                    I would like to know if anyone has experience fitting it to a SWB 911, in the style of a 911r.

El Prez (Phil) is the man for that... having done an "R" replica.
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Exactly what bits did you get in the deal ?

If you also got the oil console bits that are located on the RHS of the engine bay, you probably need to cut out the inner panel and weld in a new plain piece then cut out the new holes you need to mount the oil console bit and other hose piping. You also need some special oil lines to run to the new tank location at the front of the drivers side rear fender taking care to ensure there is adaquate clearance with the tires, especially if you have wider rears fitted.

You will also need to fabricate or buy a strap that holds the side oil tank in place and weld one end fitting onto the body, plus, of course, cut the opening for the oil cap and access to fill the tank.

Oh, and by the way, you will no doubt suffer from the problem all 911R's had (and have) where oil is somehow sucked out of the tank under the cap leaving stains down your rear fender. Dont know how to solve this one yet.
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      R-Gruppe # 367
                      '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily

Comment

The console and oil lines are included, do you where to locate the 911r style oil cap or does it need to be fabicated, where did you find your cap.
                        Maybe the oil leaking from the cap is being blown out by the pressure from the oil returning to hte tank.

Comment

From memory we used an old VW gas tank cap and neck which was then welded to the '72 oil tank.

the vertical tab was welded onto the cap.

Below are some sample pics of 911R oil tank caps I found and used for inspiration.

And we have double checked the seals on the cap and tank but still leaks oil. maybe its a pressure thing. I have not yet fitted an oil catch tank which may relieve internal pressure. FYI, Ian Hendersons excellent 911R recreation ahs the same problem. I found an early pic of a factory race 911R which showed the same oil leak problem so perhaps it cant be easily fixed.

No such problem with my 1972 car with side oil tank , though. Go figure.

First 3 pics are all from real 911R's. Cap on red car is one I made.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          R-Gruppe # 367
                          '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily

Comment

Found more oil tank pics including under guard mounting pics showing strap required. I think I got this from Stoddards but that was a few years ago.

I guess I spent about 4 years collecting various bits for this car. I have a massive photo collection I used as reference all gleaned off the Net.

There are many sources for 911R stuff including Ernie Wilbergs site. Ernie is a 911R expert wiht an unbelievable amount of knowledge on these cars including many factory manusl etc all scanned and available to read. http://www.pbase.com/911r/type_r_series
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by e72phil; 29-09-10, 02:46 PM.
                            sigpicPhil Lack
                            R-Gruppe # 367
                            '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily

Comment

Also not sure if you are doing a centre fill gas tank. the Blau caps are still available new along with a short section of neck to weld onto your existing tank . Search the early S forum for "Blau" cap and find the threads abot it and possible Euro contacts to purchase from.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              R-Gruppe # 367
                              '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily

Comment

Working...
                              X